Mr Phil Newton – aka, yours truly – is interviewed by Kate Stalter on the MarketBeat Podcast. First published on March 21st 2022
- Google Podcast
- Spotify Podcast
- Apple Podcast
- Or search MarkerBeat on your fav. podcast player and look for Ep.14 March 21st 2022
This week, Kate sits down with stock trader Phil Newton, who outlines his swing-trading process using moving averages, and explains why he likes to keep his process simple. He also explains why he ignores news events, preferring to focus just on the charts.
- Why Phil is agnostic to economic news, the Federal Reserve and fundamental factors, and focuses on technicals.
- How Phil looks for certain levels on the charts
- What moving averages Phil uses as his frame of reference
- Why having opinions on the market could actually be detrimental to your trading
- Why Phil believes news just speeds up what was already happening with a stock
- What is Phil’s screening process? What characteristics is he looking for?
- Why is a well-known liquid, large-cap stock not always a good fit for Phil’s strategy?
- How Phil minimizes the stress time-consuming nature of trading
- Why Phil works from a small basket of stocks in a watch list and is patiently waiting for a setup
- Why Phil is bullish on the energy sector at the moment
- How Phil uses moving averages and trend lines in a very specific way
- Why Phil uses options instead of going long stock
- Why using options rather than stops gives a trader more time for a thesis to play out
- Why it’s important to keep your portfolio size limited
- Why traders can masker the skill of options trading
Stocks mentioned in this episode:
- LNG – Cheshire Energy
- PEP – PepsiCo
- HAL – Halliburton
- PXD – Pioneer Natural Resources
- AAPL – Apple
A full list of stocks that Phil follows can be found here
How to access Phil’s chart setups: https://antivestor.com